Friday, May 18, 2007

New Movie Day: 5/18/07

So, first weekly installment of New Movie Day! Awesome!

Let's see what's in theaters this weekend...and, just as a note, wide releases will usually be the only ones commented on due to time and, well, I generally have more knowledge of the wide releases and have more of a chance to see them than the limited. I have the right to break, bend, or drop this rule at any time. Because I am the god of this blog. Well, co-god with Will, but he has a meager two posts compared to my five. ;-)



Amazingly, but not surprisingly, the only wide release this week is Shrek the Third. Opening in 4,122 theaters--as opposted to the 4,324 Spider-Man 3 will still be swinging into, actually expanding despite its 60% tumble in box office receipts last weekend--it's expected to wear the crown this weekend yet Shrek doesn't have a prayer of claiming Spidey's numerous all-time records throne. The Scottish ogre is also getting a critical drubbing, clocking in at only 44% on Rotten Tomatoes. I'm seeing it at the drive-in tonight on a screen with The Last Mimzy, so I'll let you know how they both are.

Speaking of threequels, next week caps May's troika with Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End. Hopefully that one won't disappoint, eh?

In limited release this week:



(Opened 5/16)

(Only in NYC)

3 comments:

W. said...

Is it bad that four of those limited releases look better than the wide release?

Arlo J. Wiley said...

Well, the limiteds usually are better...I'm guessing the one that doesn't look better is The Wendell Baker Story? 'Cuz that's the one I would pick as least interesting despite the Wilson brothers doing their best to mimic their buddy Wes Anderson.

I had never heard of Severance before, but I'd really like to see it now...

W. said...

Nah, I actually meant Fay Grim...which, at the time, I thought was something else and now even it looks better than Shrek.

I've actually been anticipating The Wendell Baker Story for a long-ass time...