Thursday, June 7, 2007

Two new high-profile lawsuits.

Who doesn't love a Hollywood lawsuit?! Apart from the people actually in them.

Anyway, there are two new high-profile lawsuits:



First up, Judd Apatow is being sued by Canadian author Rebecca Eckler because Eckler says Knocked Up copies her novel Knocked Up: Confessions of a Hip Mother-to-Be.

Says Eckler: "A lot of people, I’m sure, will say, 'Well, getting drunk and knocked up, it could happen to everybody.' Well, the fact is, it doesn’t happen to everybody, and no one had written about it before I did. And he didn’t sell the screenplay until after I did."

Nobody had written about it before Eckler? What? That's like saying no one had written about mental retardation before Forrest Gump.

Says Apatow: "The book is about a woman who gets pregnant by the fiance that she loves on the night of her engagement party. The film is about a one-night stand between a pot smoking slacker and an ambitious young woman that leads to a pregnancy and their attempts to get to know each other."

I definitely agree with Apatow here. Anyone who checks out the preview of the book at Amazon will be able to tell that they're two very different stories, and only the first few pages are there. Plus, it's also evident while Knocked Up the movie is brilliant, Knocked Up the book is not. If I ever hear the phrase, "Did I...did we...did he...in me?" again, I will personally hunt down Eckler and rip her fucking head off.

The trial is scheduled to begin in March 2008.



The second lawsuit which, to me, is less interesting, but which is much larger: Fifteen actors from the Lord of the Rings movies are suing New Line Cinema for allegedly withholding an estimated $100 million profit from merchandising. None of the well-known actors either, but that doesn't make the suit any less serious.

New Line must really be a bunch of assholes, because this is the third lawsuit against them in regards to Lord of the Rings alone. Peter Jackson has sued them for withholding profits from Fellowship of the Ring (subsequently losing his chance to direct the forthcoming Hobbit adaptation), while Saul Zaentz settled out of court over the rights to the books.

Man, Hollywood lawsuits. They must suck.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Até mais.

Stefan Ellison said...

Hello Will and AJ,

I was just doing some random internet surfing and, by coincidence, came upon your blog. And let me just say, excellent job!

You have really invested your time in this and I am very impressed. Hope you keep this going.

Signed,
Estefan.

Steven said...

I think your weblog is quite informative,I really enjoyed the movie tidbits!!

I just created my first blog on movie production etc...
please feel free to visit.

I will also add a link from mine to yours!!!
steven-movieworld.blogspot.com

Joe the Conservative said...

ConservativeChatter.blogspot.com

gamingmatters.blogspot.com

Pradeep said...

hi i want to exchange links with your blogs.. nice blogsss

if u are interested then plz aad my links & cooment me u r links information i will add your links to aal of my blogs .. .. exchanging are usefull for us..

My Blogs Info

title : -Mesothelioma Symptoms and Diagnosis
http://mesothelioma-symptoms-diagnosis.blogspot.com/
DESC : -mesothelioma-symptoms-diagnosis.blogspot.com blog offers the information about the mesothelioma symptoms and treatments.Offer the current news on the mesothelioma..

Mystery shopping jobs
http://mystery-shopping-online-jobs.blogspot.com
Mystery shopping jobs information blog : A blog on mystery shopping, mystery shopping jobs & other Work At Home jobs . FAQs mystery shoppers & Work At Home jobs . Learn more about mystery shopping......


Social Bookmarking Sites
http://250-bookmarking-sites.blogspot.com/
Here are the diffenrt 250 Social Bookmarking Sites .....

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Impressora e Multifuncional, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://impressora-multifuncional.blogspot.com. A hug.

Anonymous said...


[url=bhagavadgita.ru/bhagavad_gita_kamenskaya_manziarli_05.htm]Гита, глава 5, в переводе А. А. Каменской[/url]